Wednesday, October 2, 2024

New Writing, Books I'm Excited About, Etc.

I have new poems published by Little Old Lady Comedy. One piece came out in September, which you can read here, and another piece came out in July, which you can read here

Little Old Lady Comedy has new editors and a new website. There was some overlap between the previous editors and the new editors. The gist of it is that you can read my most recent pieces published by Little Old Lady Comedy here, and you can read my Little Old Lady Comedy pieces published before this summer here

One of my favorite books that I read this summer is This American Ex-Wife by Lyz Lenz. 





I really enjoyed this book, especially as someone who has never been married and doesn't have kids. (I am, however, an exhausted auntie.) The book made me think about this and this. Then I started thinking about a Lyz Lenz and Julia Fox Venn diagram, with their similarities and differences. I feel like this Lenz-Fox Venn diagram should actually exist, but I don't have time to make it. I've also always felt that a mashup video of Elaine's awkward dancing on Seinfeld and Drake's awkward dancing in the "Hotline Bling" video should exist. Sometimes I think of this when I hear Kendrick Lamar's "Not Like Us." Anyway...

Two books I'm excited to read are Perfume & Pain by Anna Dorn and A Complicated Passion by Carrie Rickey.




I enjoyed reading Exalted by Anna Dorn this past winter, so I'm looking forward to reading Perfume & Pain, which is being adapted as a series. I thought I read earlier this year that Exalted was optioned for film, but I can't remember the details.

A Complicated Passion is a biography of Agnès Varda by the film and art critic Carrie Rickey. I recently saw Cléo from 5 to 7 (1962) and I loved it. I'm excited to watch it again. It is one of those movies that you want to watch multiple times, like Stage Door (1937) and All About Eve (1950). When I think of more recent movies I've seen several times, I think of movies from the aughts like Best in Show (2000) and The Royal Tenenbaums (2001). Obviously, there are a lot of movies that I've liked since the aughts, but I can't think of any that I felt I had to watch more than once. So, I'm looking forward to rewatching Cléo from 5 to 7, seeing more of Agnès Varda's films, and learning more about her by reading this biography.

Herbalogic also sent me a box of their products which was nice of them. (How did they read my mind about the PMS?)


This song is stuck in my head. I hope I'm remembering everything I wanted to post today. I still feel tired from the latest covid vaccine I got last week.