Wednesday, January 18, 2023

1/18/2023

It’s 2023! 

These are the books I’m currently reading. I meant to read these months ago, but I’m catching up now. 

If There Are Any Heavens by Nicholas Montemarano

The Vibrant Years by Sonali Dev

These are the books I want to read next. (In random order.) 

Aura: A Memoir by Hillary Leftwich 

 

Our Wives Under the Sea by Julia Armfield 

 

Enjoy Me Among My Ruins by Juniper Fitzgerald 

 

Miss MacIntosh, My Darling by Marguerite Young 

 

The Rabbit Hutch by Tess Gunty 

 

Bliss Montage by Ling Ma 

 

I’ve Had to Think Up a Way to Survive: On Trauma, Persistence, and Dolly Parton by Lynn Melnick 

 

Late Summer Ode by Olena Kalytiak Davis 

 

Dinosaurs by Lydia Millet 

 

The Escape Artist: The Man Who Broke Out of Auschwitz to Warn the World by Jonathan Freeland 

 

Healing by Gayl Jones 

 

Case Study by Graeme Macrae Burnet 

 

Foster by Claire Keegan 

 

Assia by Sandra Simonds 

 

Offended Sensibilities by Alisa Ganieva

 

The Emily Dickinson Reader by Paul Legault 

 

The Long Answer by Anna Hogeland 

 

Aesthetica by Allie Rowbottom 

 

A Dangerous Business by Jane Smiley 

 

Writers Under Surveillance: The FBI Files  

 

Doom Scroll by Matthew Guenette 


The Pumpkin Eater by Penelope Mortimer 

 

Bad Thoughts by Nada Alic 

 

When the Sun Comes Out After Three Days of Rain by Leah Browning  


Sugar Street by Jonathan Dee 

 

Rest Is Resistance: A Manifesto by Tricia Hersey 

 

I’m Never Fine: Scenes and Spasms on Loss by Joseph Lezza 

 

Judy Garland is Not a Sunrise by E.F. Schraeder

 

Eve Bites Back: An Alternative History of English Literature by Anna Beer 


I really appreciate people sending me books and I really appreciate people emailing me about new and forthcoming books. I can’t respond to all the emails, but it is so nice of people to reach out and I do read every email.  


So... Some people have asked me about new poems... I am working on a couple manuscripts right now. One is definitely not poetry. The other one is...also not poetry... I think the most important thing is that I’m writing, but I guess I do feel a bit anxious and guilty to say I’m not working on any poems at the moment.  


Since I don’t have any new poems right now (sorry), I thought I would post some throwback poems/book excerpts. These photos are of my reading copies which are getting pretty worn. Especially my reading copy of Inappropriate Sleepover which has been bathed in beer over the years.  


A poem from Inappropriate Sleepover (The National Poetry Review Press, 2014). (Throwing it pretty far back with this poem...) 








































I’m actually going to post three poems from The Crimes of Clara Turlington (Vine Leaves Press, 2015) because it is the middle child book. Years later, I’m still excited that Stephanie Burt tweeted about one of these poems. 













































































A poem from Without: Body, Name, Country (Vine Leaves Press, 2020). 



I thought I would have an okay selfie from this past weekend, but I don’t. Instead, I have four selfies from Saturday that look like they were taken with an aughts flip phone. I guess I was in horrible lighting or squirming around too much or something. That’s alright though. I made it to 2023 all in one piece. 






Stay warm!